From Raphaƫl Luta <raphael.l...@networks.groupvu.com>
Subject Re: Opensource Development - Coding guidelines
Date Mon, 15 Oct 2001 11:12:40 GMT
[please don't crosspost to user and dev lists, choose only the most appropriate
  for any discussion topic]

ICM S CP guest 5 wrote:

> Hi,
>
> after stepping thru some jetspeed sources I found it very confusing, reading and understanding
the code.

> I programmed the same way a year ago.
> But then I started to use coding guidelines.
>
> Coding guidelines can specify how the definition of a variable, object, parameter, function,
... looks like.

> e.g. every Integer variable starts with an i:  int iValue;
> or Parameters using an p like: function callMe (int piAge, String pstName)
> and so on...
>
> Some advantages:
> - Code is better readable
> - Faster identification of a variable/object/parameter
> - Code is upgradeable
> - Faster programming - it's easier to find names because the names are more specific
(iAge, stAge, ...)

Completely agreed on the use of coding guidelines, the main difficulties I
see are selecting guidelines that will be actually agreed upon and followed
by *all* the developpers (not too difficult I would think) and reformat all
the non-conforming code to this convention.

I'd welcome any completely formulated xdocs code guidelines proposal to
serve as discussion basis :)

Vivendi Universal Networks - Paris