From raphael.l...@networks.groupvu.com
Subject Re: version number
Date Sun, 14 Oct 2001 09:02:19 GMT
David Sean Taylor wrote:
> We are now gathering all the known bugs and missing features for this
> release.
> If we can fix all of these bugs and implement the essential features, the
> quality, in my opinion, will be good enough to drop the alpha.

Quite apart from bug issues/stability, the "alpha" denominator is used because
the main APIs are still very in flux: if you consider the API differences between
1.3a1 and 1.3a2 and what is considered for 1.3a3 (new Portlet API), you'll see that
there are still some changes planned.

I'd like to go "beta" only when we are confident that our APIs are stable enough
so that we can ensure backward compatibility for modules and API extensions.
I don't think we've quite reached this point yet, which is why I'm +1 to keep
alpha for the time being.
--
Raphaƫl Luta - raphael.luta@networks.groupvu.com
Vivendi Universal Networks - Services Manager / Paris