From Raphaƫl Luta <raphael.l...@networks.groupvu.com>
Subject Re: 1.3a2 release
Date Wed, 10 Oct 2001 08:49:45 GMT
David Sean Taylor wrote:

 >>Which bugs? Some list about known and pending bugs, will be usefull, to
 >>those who want to contribute .. like me .. Thanks
 >>

 > Hmm, I can't seem to find too many outstanding bugs on my list that I
 > haven't already fixed.
 > I guess it is time for a release :-)
 > I will send an email to the jetspeed-user list calling for bug reports.

Here's what I have as outstanding issues:

Missing features:
- Customizer does not provide any UI for selecting the PSML resource to
   customize
- Customizer does not manage correctly multiple instances of the same portlet
   in a single PSML resource
- There are some security issues allowing users to edit PSML resources they
   should not be able to.
- Reimplement the minimize feature to use skin/layout properties rather than
   parameters.

PSML:
- PSML objects have no unique identifier within a PSML document.
- Castor generated API is not versatile enough, replace it with interface
   based API (jetspeed.om.profile.Document, etc...) and rewrite an implementation

Registry:
- Once the default file registry has detected a new entry, it seems to try to
   reload the entries every minute afterwards.
- We need a good DB backed Registry implementation

Portlet:
- The caching scheme of portlet objects is broken, right now caching is mostly
   disabled but we'll need to think about it properly to improve performance
- The portlet life cycle is broken. We should start now the transition to API 2
   in order to smooth porting portlet to new model.
- Portlet API should not make comparisons based on MIME Type but on Registry
   Media Type in order to be able to differenciate between different dialects
   (HTML lite and HTML 4 for example...)

Velocity:
- the velocity patch I proposed has not been included in the Velocity code base
   yet, so we need to either:
   * get Velocity people to commit this functionality in their product
   * find another way to get this functionality out of Velocity
   * maintain the patch ourselves and keep using a patched Velocity

Syndication:
- Rework the syndication engine to be completely independant of the Portlet API
- Implement RSS 1.0 support

Portlets:
- adapt & commit the VotingPortlet contributed for 1.3a1 to the current CVS
- remove the CocoonPortlet which is not functional.

Miscellanous:
- Rewrite CapabilityMap as a configurable, file-based service/component and
   contribute this code to either Turbine or Commons.
- Remove unused code from main HEAD branch in CVS
- Rebuild the CVS repository by export/import to get rid of the bogus
   directories in the tree

If somebody has time to formalize this and post it somewhere to act as a
reference that would be great...

I'm back :)

Vivendi Universal Networks - Paris