From Atul Dambalkar <adamb...@cisco.com>
Subject RE: XML Database schema for DatabasePsmlManager Implementation
Date Wed, 05 Sep 2001 21:51:18 GMT
At 12:19 PM 9/5/01 -0700, you wrote:
>At 09:25 PM 9/4/01 -0700, you wrote:
>>Hi Atul,
>>
>>At first, I thought there was a problem with "USER_ID" being the primary
>>key.
>>But it appears to be a ID field, which is misleading, since it had me
>>thinking that it was the foreign key between the TURBINE_USER table and this
>>table. I'd recommend a dependent relationship between TURBINE_USER and
>>JETSPEED_USER_PROFILE (cascading deletes), which means adding another column
>>for the foreign key - at that point you will have a column name conflict (i
>>don't like naming common columns differently across tables), so maybe all of
>>your primary keys could be called PSML_ID, which is also less confusing.
>>Likewise for TURBINE_GROUP AND JETSPEED_GROUP_PROFILE, and TURBINE_ROLE and
>>JETSPEED_ROLE_PROFILE.
>>Questions I have are:
>>- does Torque support cascading deletes?
>>- all databases don't support cascading deletes. Will Torque compensate?

David,

As far as cascading deletes in database are concerned, the same case may
exist about deleting the PSML files on the File System when someone is
using CastorPsmlManager. So, when a user gets deleted from the Turbine user
table, the PSML files also should get deleted from the file system. How is
that happening now? I am sure, it must be happening. So, one option to
cascading deletes would be, when the user gets deleted from the Jetspeed
Admin interface, the Jetspeed itself can invoke
"removeDocument(ProfileLocator)" or "removeUserDocuments(User)" method from
the PsmlManagerService, and then we won't have worry about any data
integrity conflicts, and hence don't have to use TURBINE tables as foreign
key tables in Jetspeed PSML. Only thing that, the code which does that in
Jetspeed, would have to put in a transaction.

-Atul