From raphael.l...@networks.groupvu.com
Subject Re: New Portlet API
Date Sun, 27 May 2001 08:50:34 GMT

"Charles D. Johnson" wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have a few questions about the new Portlet API that is currently in
> development.  Let me start off by saying I like what I see in the Javadocs
> for the new API!

You can check out the first implementation by asking for the 'portlet_api'
CVS branch.

> Is there a plan to develop a specification for the new API that provides
> some narrative that will describe the new object model in more detail?

That's a question for Ingo and Stephan I guess...

> Are there any anticipated changes to the surrounding object model including
> Controls and Controllers?

Yes. Controls and Controllers will also change to a new lifecycle closer to the
portlet one. This will avoid a lot of object instanciation in the rendering process
thus making Jetspeed more efficient.

There was also discussion about changing PSML syntax (see mail archives) but this
will depend a lot on user feedback and backward compatibility issue. One of the goal
of the new PSML system being to easily allow file-based and DBMS-based
implementations...

> Is there any active discussion going on related to the API development other
> than this mailing list?

Not yet, but I guess this will start as soon as 1.3a2 is out...

--
Raphaƫl Luta - luta.raphael@networks.vivendi.net