From Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>
Subject Re: Updated 1.3a2 plans
Date Fri, 04 May 2001 09:46:35 GMT
Raphaël Luta wrote:

> As many of you have noticed, the 1.3a2 release scheduled on May 1 has not
> happened yet.
>
> Among the reasons: I wanted to commit the new registry implementation in time
> for this release and do a couple of other features work as well as let Santiago
> and David commit their respective improvements on the urlmanager, diskcache
> and customizer and TDK inetgration (hear me, guys ? :) )

:-q (this is supposed to be me whistling while trying to get unnoticed :) )

I'm trying to get it, but it is not yet happening. I am isolating the
urlmanager from the cache, so that the implementation is not too
complex. The idea is that I will use the "state" pattern to isolate the
internal state of a resource, be it as a cache entry or as a
conventional url or file (writable or read-only).

so
*resourcemanager* delivers resources
*resource* delivers Readers, Writers, Streams, Strings, ... using the
*entry* as stateful encapsulation.
*entry* takes care of life cycle, cacheability, writability, security?, ...

This will simplify the design, decoupling the interface from the
concrete strategy used for handling the resource.

I'm also trying to get completely rid of using files. Everything should
be managed as urls, to enable distribution, scalability and portability.
Ideally, a java.protocol.handler.pkgs factory would be used to handle
urls specific of the jetspeed resource manager, but this will bring
administrative issues and, it done, should be integrated at the
container level.

> Since we can't delay too much a new release because they are a lot of bug fixes
> and improvements in the CVS that need to be released, I propose the following
> updated schedule :
>
> The CVS HEAD stays open until next Tuesday (8 May) for feature work and
> improvements. On 8 May, I create a 1.3a2 release branch which is considered
> feature freezed. Stabilization work, cleaning of obsolete code and testing on
> different servlet engines will happen on this branch and will eventually lead
> to a release somewhere between 10 May and 15 May.

OK for me.