From Jon Stevens <...@latchkey.com>
Subject Re: UpdateAccount Save Password Bug Fix
Date Mon, 30 Apr 2001 22:18:34 GMT
on 4/30/01 2:29 PM, "Turpin, Jay" <jay.turpin@intel.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the additional information. However, maybe you can clear up some
> confusion on our part. Why use:
>
> data.getUser().setPerm( org.apache.turbine.om.security.User.FIRST_NAME,
> firstname );
>
> instead of:
>
> data.getUser().setFirstName(firstname);

Right, you suggest the right way to do things. However, in Jetspeed, the
history is to pick the wrong way. :-)

> Maybe this question comes from my general confusion about the design. Based
> on reading the documentation about Peers on the Turbine web site, I thought
> TurbineUserPeer is used for interacting with the underlying data repository,
> in this case, the TURBINE_USER table in the database. However, in the code
> below, it looks like it is being used as "User" object for the application.

TurbineUser is the implementation of the User interface.

> I have a difficult time understanding the purpose of many of the features in
> the User interface, particularly get- and setPerm(). How do these functions
> differ from using the accessor methods in the TurbineUser class?

Repeat: The TurbineUser class is the default implementation of the User
interface.

> I think of the system working this way, please educate me if I am mistaken:
> * The app should use the TurbineUserPeer class to fetch a TurbineUser object

No! The app should use the TurbineSecurity class to fetch a User object.
This object could be a TurbineUser object or any other object that
implements the User interface. You should *never* directly reference a
TurbineUser class...you should *always* use TurbineSecurity.

> * Use the data in the TurbineUser object to populate a form and store
> updates made by the user

Potentially.

> * If the data needs to be made permanent, create a Criteria object using the
> data in TurbineUser and save it to the database using TurbineUserPeer

Nope. User.save()

> Is this viewpoint correct? Or am I missing something?

Close...what you are missing is the level of abstraction that Turbine
provides over the User/Role/Permission system.

-jon

your pain to new levels. --Anonymous