portals-bridges-user mailing list archives

From Ate Douma <...@douma.nu>
Subject Re: Bug in FilterPortlet
Date Sat, 16 Sep 2006 12:34:05 GMT
Shinsuke SUGAYA wrote:
> Scott Anderson wrote:
>> The portletConfig instance variable is used but never set. In the methods
>> getInitParameter, getInitParameterNames, getPortletContext,
>> getPortletName,
>> & getResourceBundle you will get a NullPointerException if the Portlet
>> being
>> managed (portlet instance variable) is not an instance of PortletConfig.
>
> I do not see that issue.
I just looked at the code and he's right. When the portlet managed is *not* an instance of
PortletConfig, the
FilterPortlet will use its own provided PortletConfig for resolving the request.
But FilterPortlet doesn't save its PortletConfig in its init method, hence a NPE.

After reviewing Scott's request to be able to use the FilterPortlet with ServletContextProvider
(which requires the
portlet, in this case FilterPortlet) to extend GenericPortlet, I think it can be easily "fixed",
without introducing
side-effects or new dependencies.
As the FilterPortlet currently only implements Portlet and PortletConfig, which GenericPortlet
does as well, simply
extending GenericPortlet and calling super.init(PortletConfig) in its init(PortletConfig)
method will resolve both issues.

Additionally, I see the FilterPortlet contains another bug: in its destroy() method it doesn't
call the managed portlet
destroy() method.

I will create a new JIRA issue for these issues, commit my proposed fixes to FilterPortlet
and define
portals.bridges.jsf.version=1.0.1-dev in project.properties.

Then Scott can test if this indeed resolves his issues, and maybe you can validate this doesn't
cause any side-effects
for your usecases.

Regards,

Ate