ponymail-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Gruno <humbed...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Migrated records should be identified
Date Thu, 10 Sep 2020 11:32:28 GMT
On 10/09/2020 13.25, sebb wrote:
> Migration to Foal will be a huge job for some installations.
>
> Whilst hopefully all snags will have been ironed out of any conversion
> tool before it is deployed in earnest, it's possible that some edge
> cases will cause issues, and will need subsequent adjustment.

Short of ironing out a standard for DKIM_ID, the migration tests I've
done have gone relatively well. There were IIRC a few snags, most
related to the ES 7.8.1 lib, but once I got migration started, it worked
as intended and everything on the new ES server was compatible. If we
could somehow get a migration test running on travis or such, that would
be ideal - but that is quite tricky - we'd have to maybe dockerize two
containers - one with old pony, one with foal, and then test migrating
across and checking that each document is obtainable.

> To this end, I think it will be essential to know which records have
> been migrated, and which version of the software was used to do so (as
> well as the date).
>
> It may be worth including version and timestamp info in the direct
> archive and imports as well.

Do you mean adding a key/value to the migrated doc with a migration
note? That wouldn't be a bad idea, if nothing else, to keep score of
what was migrated and what's new.

> One possible application would be to back-fill attachments which were
> originally ignored.

This could be run as a background re-indexer perhaps? That grabs the
source document, re-parses attachments, and if it contained more than
originally thought, add them and update the email document.