ponymail-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Change UI config to yaml?
Date Tue, 02 May 2017 14:59:31 GMT
On 2 May 2017 at 13:10, Shane Curcuru <asf@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:
> Daniel Gruno wrote on 5/1/17 1:35 PM:
>> While having a cup of coffee on the balcony, I got to thinking - would
>> it make sense for us to convert the PM UI configuration to yaml instead
>> of a .lua file? It should make it less arcane to edit for non-techies.
>
> +1.  The older I get, the more and more I appreciate systems that store
> config data in very clear and easy to process formats.  Being able to
> change behaviors - or use automated deployment tools - without having to
> look into code files is definitely helpful.

I contend that the existing format is already pretty simple and easy
to understand.

It's not much different from a properties file.

Whilst YAML has the concept of a hierarchical structure, it's pretty
easy to get the layout wrong, but still end up with valid YAML.
Unless the code that processes the file does some careful checking, it
may result in unexpected settings.