polygene-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Thoughts on Release 3.0
Date Fri, 14 Jul 2017 00:19:46 GMT
On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 12:13 AM, Paul Merlin <paulmerlin@apache.org> wrote:

> Niclas Hedhman a écrit :
> > 2. Mentioned above; I am suspicious about the SQL Indexer and its
> "reindex"
> > on start up. I have frequent exceptions on that when working on the
> > generator, and although one bug was fixed (thanks Stan) I think there are
> > others in the type lookup. One hypothesis I have, which is not confirmed,
> > is that "Module" is written into the SQL database, which I think is used
> on
> > reindexing, and during reindexing that "Module" field becomes the
> indexer's
> > module, and on the second restart and its indexing things are messed up.
> > suggest that we do not include the SQL indexer in 3.0
>
> +1
> @Niclas: could you create an issue with this?

I don't have it nailed down and getting so frustrated with it, since I
think it is on the 3 start or something like that.

> > 3. Paul has previously brought up that Extensions are not unified and
> > implements different amounts of features, and it is difficult to know
> what
> > is supported. Solr indexer is a example of something that doesn't support
> > much of the Indexing SPI, and is actually addressing a different concern;
> > Text Search, which I think should be a separate API in a new Query API
> > which I would like to work on for Release 3.2. I suggest that Solr
> Indexer
> > is dropped from 3.0
>
> I'm with Kent on this, the Solr index/query extension has value and its
> documentation states clearly what is supported and what is not:
> http://polygene.apache.org/java/develop/extension-index-solr.html.
> I see no reason to not ship it with 3.0.

Ok, we keep it in.

> 4. There will soon be a new SQL Entity Store, and I don't think there is
> > any point in keeping the existing one. I suggest (and prefer) that it is
> > dropped from 3.0, or at least renamed to something like
> > entitystore-legacysql
>
> What about entitystore-map-sql instead?
> It is a MapEntityStore.
> We can deprecate and retire it at some point, but the word "legacy"
> makes me itchy.

Ok...
It is funny that only in the computing is "legacy" something bad. Every
other industry and field of achievements the word "legacy" is something to
strive for. :-)

> Here are some areas I would like to work on next with the tentative
> calendar above in mind:
>
> 3.1
>
> - Tooling
>     - a suite of Gradle plugins: polygene-library, polygene-extension,
> polygene-application .. to make it damn easy to setup the build of
> Polygene apps
>     - formalize Extensions vs. Features (reporting, documentation,
> testing?)
>     - reinstate checkstyle checks now that it supports Java 8

Ok, that would simply fold into the generator? Or is it something to be
published separately?

3.2

> - Polygene runs on Jigsaw

Is Oracle still going ahead with Jigsaw? I thought the EC shot it down?

> - Performance testing, some guarantee that we don't introduce
> regressions would be awesome

I will offer my new company's resources for this, and it should be
available around 3.2 time frame.

> - Performance optimisations (e.g. known hot spots in serialization
> fixable once Johnzon supports JSR-374)
> - Collaboration on the new indexing system / query api is appealing!

I doubt that I can manage a new indexing/querying on my own, and looking
forward to heavy collaboration on that.

I'll take a look at 'develop' later today.

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer