polygene-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Thoughts on Release 3.0
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2017 07:58:09 GMT
1. Polygene generator doesn't produce functioning projects. It is quite
close, but there are issues in security and perhaps in Configuration
handling. I get indexer complaining on restarts that Configuration type is
not visible and other odd things. Part of the issues is in the generator,
but I think part of it is problems in at least the SQL Indexer. I suggest
that we leave out the tools/generator-polygene in the 3.0 release and
target 3.1 instead.

2. Mentioned above; I am suspicious about the SQL Indexer and its "reindex"
on start up. I have frequent exceptions on that when working on the
generator, and although one bug was fixed (thanks Stan) I think there are
others in the type lookup. One hypothesis I have, which is not confirmed,
is that "Module" is written into the SQL database, which I think is used on
reindexing, and during reindexing that "Module" field becomes the indexer's
module, and on the second restart and its indexing things are messed up. I
suggest that we do not include the SQL indexer in 3.0

3. Paul has previously brought up that Extensions are not unified and
implements different amounts of features, and it is difficult to know what
is supported. Solr indexer is a example of something that doesn't support
much of the Indexing SPI, and is actually addressing a different concern;
Text Search, which I think should be a separate API in a new Query API
which I would like to work on for Release 3.2. I suggest that Solr Indexer
is dropped from 3.0

4. There will soon be a new SQL Entity Store, and I don't think there is
any point in keeping the existing one. I suggest (and prefer) that it is
dropped from 3.0, or at least renamed to something like
entitystore-legacysql

5. Roadmap. Below is what I would like to do and the goals I would like to
have and willing to work on.

    July 2017 - Release 3.0

    Oct 2017 - Release 3.1 : The new SQL Entity Store, Polygene Generator
and Kotlin showcasing.

    Jan 2018 - Release 3.2 : New indexing system and new Query API.

    April 2018 - Release 3.3 : Timeseries support

WDYAT?

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer