polygene-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Merlin <paulmer...@apache.org>
Subject Re: yeoman-work back to develop
Date Sun, 04 Jun 2017 09:09:22 GMT
Le 2017-06-04 02:54, Niclas Hedhman a écrit :
> As for Docker;
>
> Don't forget that this is code generation and it is EXPECTED that
> people
> tailor it to their needs. I chose ":latest" so that we don't have to
> constantly maintain the version as those dependencies are likely to
> upgrade
> faster than we do. It is not important whether the generated project
> will
> break long-term for using ":latest".

`:latest` could eventually start breaking the day after we release 3.0.
We do already have the list of qualified docker images in a central
place. It's like any other dependency. "maintaining" boils down to not
repeat ourselves.

BTW, it's the same with java dependencies that are also already
duplicated in the templates. We should reuse those defined in
~/dependencies.gradle at some point. That can be post 3.0.

> Docker being present is a similar thing. If you don't want Docker, kill
> the
> DockerRule and change to connect to the external system available
> through
> other means.
>
> I think the main point is; We don't need to tailor for all possible
> situations, as generated code is not 'final' in any shape, way or form.
> But
> perhaps the generator should "check for Docker" and don't generate a
> Dockerrule and disable the test if it is not present.

Well, I get your point but I strongly think that the generated projects
should not be broken. They are if they fail to build/run. And users will
think the same way I suppose. The generated projects are just
scaffoldings yes, but getting started with a broken build (as in not
building/running) will confuse users and produce noise.