polygene-dev mailing list archives

From Stanislav Muhametsin <stanislav.muhamet...@zest.mail.kapsi.fi>
Subject Re: More ServiceActivation
Date Fri, 09 Jun 2017 08:10:46 GMT
FWIW, I really had to sit down and think a lot about all concurrency etc
issues in C# version of Polygene.
There, I am using CompareExchange-based algorithms to simulate state
machine:
0 - Initial
1 - Activating
2 - Active
3 - Passivating
4 - Passive

Legal transitions are:
0 -> 1 (Initial activation)
1 -> 2 (Activation successful)
1 -> 4 (Exception in activation)
2 -> 3 (Starting to passivate)
3 -> 4 (Passivation successful (even if exception))
4 -> 1 (Re-activating)

That way, I can also detect recursive calls within
activation/passivation methods (when state is 1 or 3), which helps avoid
some nasty StackOveflowExceptions and other inconsistencies.

I've got things to work very nicely even in very large and complex
applications, where service activations can cascade multiple layers down.