polygene-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: What is a ValueComposite?
Date Sun, 23 Apr 2017 16:36:14 GMT
And there is the thing that the same interface can be different valuetypes
because registered in multiple modules, which furthers complicates the
definition. Yet, we let the interface "be" the value type in many
instances, regardless of the declared ValueModel.

I think that there is an inherent problem in these things, that just happen
to be "quite good" but not actually accurate, and it shows itself in corner
cases...

So, I think the "proper" way should be to be consistent;

    TypeLookup lookup = module.typeLookup();                   //
TypeLookup is "in charge" or everything

    ValueDescriptor<Abc> model = lookup.lookupValueModel( Abc.class );  //
The model has all the needed details

    ValueBuilder<Abc> builder = vbf.newValueBuilder( model );  // vbf
should actually take a model

    Abc abc = builder.newInstance();

    ValueDescriptor descr = api.valueDescriptorFor( abc );     // and we
can get the model back from an instance

I think this is actually happening under the hood for the current creation
of a builder, but that should be a convenience and not the formal way.

BUT, if a ValueComposite type MUST be backed by a ValueModel, I think we
still have work to do for nested types of interfaces, which sometimes are
dealt with via the ValueModel, and sometimes just another Java type, as
seen in the indexing-sql testcases, and probably was the reason for the
value finder (or whatever it was called) in previous
indexing-elasticsearch. The lambdas around traversing types are probably a
little bit guilty of making that relatively simple operations to do, and
skipping the models by oversight and convenience, especially since most
things works anyway.

Not sure what I think about it. On one hand it is a sore imperfection that
I don't like, but start digging in it is uncertain to how much effort it
would take.

Cheers
Niclas

--