polygene-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Don't throw Exceptions during Bootstrap
Date Wed, 29 Mar 2017 10:54:23 GMT
Ok,I have gotten started on this.

InvalidCompositeException is the main character involved, and there are two
major kinks involved. One is that it is somewhat difficult to continue
without weird exception following, and the other is how, when what is
actually thrown.

So, for that latter part, I am basically checking after model is created in
Energy4Java to see if there was any problems (aggregated into
InvalidCompositeException) and if so, throw an AssemblyException from
there.

For the former part, I think it is just a matter of getting these problems
and refining the handling when it happens. Important is to inspect the
InvalidCompositeException (modelReport()) when anything goes wrong. So, in
Energy4Java I do that, and for any exception, create a
AssemblyReportException with the attached modelReport() for any issue, so
one can both trace the original problems and figure out what needs to be
done to handle the broken model without further problems.

I think it is rather important to make the report as readable as possible,
so the report for two missing method implementations (my first testcase)
would end up something like this.

Composition Problems Report:
    message: No implementation found for method
    method: doAnotherThing()
    types: [Person,ValueComposite]
--
    message: No implementation found for method
    method: doOneThing()
    types: [Person,ValueComposite]
--

I think short names provides better readability than the FQCN everywhere.

I will try to clean this up and try to get it out in the next few hours, in
case anyone would like to try it out.

WDYT?

On Sat, Mar 25, 2017 at 8:24 PM, Paul Merlin <paulmerlin@apache.org> wrote:

> +1000 to more insight on assembly/bootstrap failures!
>
> Sounds related to:
> - Improved reporting on invalid assembly models
>   https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/POLYGENE-48
> - Easily report full application assembly
>   https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/POLYGENE-49
>
> POLYGENE-49 is about being able to serialize an application model.
> But it doesn't address reporting on erroneous application models.
>
> About startup and laziness, yes, getting as most errors as soon as
> possible would be a win.
> It'd be interesting to measure the impact on startup time of removing that
> laziness, it may be reasonable.
>

> Le 2017-03-25 04:54, Niclas Hedhman a ├ęcrit :
>
>> Looking at this at the moment, and there is an "interesting" tradeoff,
>> that
>> we should probably discuss.
>>
>> A fair bit of deferred work is going on, i.e. delaying the work until it
>> is
>> needed, in case it is not needed, which will improve start up time quite a
>> lot.
>>
>> The down-side is that the structural problem is not showing up until any
>> time later, possibly in production.
>>
>> I think we should remove this "lazy loading" of classes, and check
>> everything possible at boot time.
>>
>> WDAYT?
>>
>> Niclas
>>
>> On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 5:30 PM, Niclas Hedhman <niclas@hedhman.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Gang,
>>> I was just thinking;
>>>
>>> We want it to become more efficient to find the runtime problems. One of
>>> the major problems is that one gets an exception after exception the
>>> first
>>> time we try to get going with a new project or a new subsystem in an
>>> existing project. And this start->exception->edit->compile cycle is
>>> tedious and not fun.
>>>
>>> Suggestion;
>>> 1. Introduce a "bootstrapPhase" somewhere.
>>> 2. Enhance ConstructionException with exact details of everything going
>>> on.

--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer