polygene-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Merlin <paulmer...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Project name change
Date Wed, 09 Nov 2016 19:01:24 GMT
Niclas Hedhman a écrit :
> Since we seem to be anti-bikeshedding, I am pulling out one metric that may
> influence a choice. This is the main reason I like the fabricated Accalyzer
> name. Easily searchable, to track StackOverflow, and other venues where it
> may surface.
>
> "Google hit count, ascending"
>
> -  Accalyzer = 0
> - Zuqi = 80,600
> - Mescal(ero) (Google also report Mezcal) = 1,270,000
> - Zop = 2,940,000
> - Gulu = 10,800,000
> - Zebu = 2,770,000
> -  Abalone = 15,400,000
> - Zeno = 18,800,000
> - Verdure = 24,000,000
> - Stamina = 41,900,000
> - Zenith = 75,600,000
> - Zulu = 77,200,000
> - Puma = $79,000,000
> - Akira = 123,000,000
> - Qi = 161,000,000
> - Zoe = 173,000,000
> - Zen = 297,000,000
> - Essence = 305,000,000
> - COP = 306,000,000
> - Aura = 324,000,000
> - Zopper = 597,000,000
> - Energy = 1,500,000,000

These numbers shed some light, but I'm not sure it's a good metric tough.
Google ranking is interesting with a set of words, stackoverflow use
tags etc..
Among the Apache project there're very common words, e.g. from the top
of the list: Ace, Arrow, Blur, Camel, Chainsaw, Cocoon, Directory,
Falcon and the list goes on.

Coming up with a set of words to try with name candidates is not trivial.
"XXX java", "XXX framework", "XXX toolset", "XXX programming" etc.. etc..
Or course there's always "Apache XXX".

Jiri Jetmar a écrit :
> Accalyzer - hmm, sounds more like a "tool", then a framework / pattern or
> approach.
>
> But definitely a unique name !
>
> Apache Akira - at least for me it sounds clear & simple, but somehow
> female. Do we want that ?
>
> Otherwise what about to shorten Accalyzer to Apache Accaly ?

Agreed wrt. Accalyzer. Plus it's a bit long.
Accaly? I'm not sure about it. I see myself saying "with two Cs" each
time I mention it.

That's funny that Akira sounds female to you Jiri ; it doesn't to me. I
guess it depends on your mother tongue anyway :)

Zop & Zopper sounds too close to Zope (python) to me.

Anyway I think we should aim at something both short and easy to
remember/spell.

The ones I like from the list, in order, so far:
1. Akira
2. Zebu
3. Puma
4. Qi

1. I like both the original japanese meaning and the manga with the same
name
2. cool animal
3. cool animal, not A* nor Z*
4. "apachee chee" I know ... but's it's our roots, isn't it? .. I don't
remember why we did not choose it in the first place

At some point we should come up with a currated list of names and submit
them to vote, but not today ;)

Keep the suggestions and opinions coming!

Cheers