polygene-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: toValueList, toValueMap, toValueSet
Date Sat, 03 Sep 2016 23:24:16 GMT
Thanks Sandro,
I am awake again, and installing JDK on my Linux box (so much Java dev on
that one).

The Scala effort in Zest kind of died off, for primarily two reasons I
think.

Firstly, personally I am very disappointed with Scala. It is too complex
and I think it promotes "cleverness" in code writing, leading to obscure
code. Reminds me a bit of Perl, that it is possible to write nice Perl, but
most people don't.

Secondly, since the experiment was done by Rickard, to support two-way
Mixin's and more, Scala has made a couple of major release cycles, and they
are notorious for breaking compatibility. This makes it difficult to
expense the effort to hook into the language for us, since next release may
invalidate every single bit and we need to start over (or get stuck).

So, I am a bit ambivalent on how to view future support for Scala.

BUT, I don't think Prince is using Scala per se, it is just showing up
during the regular Zest build.

Cheers
<trim src="few hundred lines"/>
--