polygene-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Merlin <paulmer...@apache.org>
Subject Java 9 Support
Date Mon, 05 Sep 2016 01:46:43 GMT
Gang,

Good news, Zest Core just works on Java 9!

Bad news, we can't just use it right now.
Some things in the build are failing with Java 9.

I created ZEST-175 to track the effort.

Code wise, only one test was failing with Java 9 because it uses
internal JDK apis.
It's the test for virtual hosting setup in HTTP Library that failed, it
hooks into the JVM DNS resolution to setup the test environment. I moved
it in a separate source-set that is only used when the build is run with
JDK<9. That's good enough.

I did upgrade ./gradlew to use Gradle 3.0 along the way as it was needed
to support Java 9.
You'll notice that the Gradle Daemon is now enabled by default, see
https://docs.gradle.org/3.0/release-notes.
I explicitly disabled the daemon on CI.

I also added a CI job to ensure we don't introduce anything that would
prevent Zest to work on JDK 9:
https://builds.apache.org/view/S-Z/view/Zest/job/Zest(JavaEdition)-develop-java9-check/

Three things remain:

1/ OSGi/Bnd does not support Java 9 yet.
2/ The Scala compiler does not support Java 9 yet.
3/ Jacoco does not support Java 9 yet, their 0.7.8-SNAPSHOT version do.

I'll upgrade these as soon as compatible versions are published.

Cheers

/Paul