polygene-dev mailing list archives

From Nemeth Sandor <sandor.nemeth.1...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Spring
Date Mon, 22 Aug 2016 07:26:12 GMT
Hello Niclas,

I would say that Zest do not fit into the Spring world, I think the
conceptual gap between the two worlds are way too big. I mean Zest doesn't
support e.g. POJOs, also provides a different dependency-injection method.
One could probably force a Spring+Zest combination to work, but it would
never be a perfect match.

However from my POV it should be possible for Zest to offer the same
convenience-level, along with the tooling support.
This would have 3 different aspects:

1) configuration management
2) auto-configuration support
3) Cloud tooling

Below a description follows, although I am not _that_ familiar with the
Zest internals at the moment, so please correct me if I am wrong at any
point.

The *configuration management* would include providing a concept of
configuration override with an ordering, supporting external key-value
stores for loading configuration (with reload support). I would propose the
following order:

- External K/V store (etcd, Consul, Spring Cloud Config Server, etc)
- Environment variables
- External configuration files (outside of the application)
- Internal configuration files (packaged with the application)

The *auto-configuration* support is a bit tricky from my perspective,
because usually one wants to provide default settings which make sense, but
provide an override capability. I could imagine having something like an
_AutoConfiguringApplicationAssembler_ which auto-discovers and assembles an
application (using Java SPI) but then the user could override it in the
_assemble_ method.

For the *cloud tooling* Zest could provide a unified service-discovery
support for different service-discovery providers, and then provide support
for different service discovery and load-balancing methods (e.g client-side
load balancing or 3rd party API gateway).

Best regards,
Sandor