polygene-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Merlin <p...@nosphere.org>
Subject Re: Philosophy behind Identity
Date Sat, 02 Jul 2016 15:18:38 GMT
On 2016-06-22 14:45 (+0200), Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> Since I am struggling somewhat with "Entities", which I could view as
> "Identity with Value property", versus "Value with Identity property" (I
> use those as DTOs), I found this very basic, confusing and interesting
take
> on the subject...
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TFCMK4i2lo
>
> In essence, "it is complicated"
>
> Enjoy.

I enjoyed it :-)

I guess it boils down to how we choose the identities we use. So, it
depends on the application. Identity can be an arbitrary generated thing
(e.g. uuids) or something that has a meaning wrt. the domain. The latter
case opens a lot of corner cases depending on the fungibility and
changeability of things. Choosing "business" identities is hard. My take
on it wrt. Zest would be that it doesn't matter.

> Entity == "Identity with Value property",
> versus DTO == "Value with Identity property"

It makes sense in the DDD mindset but blurs the very definition of entities.

You can persist entities and navigate through their relationships but
you can't do that with Values.

My 0.2c

Cheers