polygene-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <hedh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Large Scale Entity Store Database?
Date Tue, 14 Jun 2016 03:02:55 GMT
In Zest, storage/retrieval and indexing/query are separated concerns. (Disk
is cheap)
Just like it is on the world-wide web.

Now, the relatively simple Entity Stores that are based on the
MapEntitStore might be particularly wasteful with storage space, depending
on the underlying engine. However, nothing stops you from creating a
"native" ES for your favorite storage engine.

The Indexing/Query systems are much more complex (compare a website's
store/retrieve with Google's Search) and it is not trivial to make an
indexing extension that is complete (native queries are available as a
compromise).

In Zest 2.x and earlier, the default is to index all properties, and you
can turn some of them off. In 3.x we intend to change the default to off,
and you indicate what needs indexing.

Final note, the requirements on the entity stores are that any "unknown"
state is preserved so that an update will not modify such state. This is
due to the fact that entities of the same identity can have more than one
(possibly incompatible) type. This complicates traditional ORM techniques
quite a bit.

Cheers
Niclas