polygene-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Generation of X licensed dependent code
Date Fri, 10 Jun 2016 00:48:45 GMT
Something interesting came up...

What if an application generates an application skeleton, that itself needs
to be licensed as GPL (or any other disallowed license) due to dependencies
it end up having... Are we allowed to create such

Example;
Apache Zest is a platform to write domain-centric applications, and we are
working on a "project creation tool", which will generate the starting
point for our users, from minimal applications, to complete webapplication
examples with both backend and frontend resources, complete with build
system and everything.

Now, some of the templates I am looking at will end up having dependencies
that are against Apache licensing policy.

So, is it OK that I include templates that will generate something that
must become a (say) GPL'd application?

Since it is not required to use these, nor will all templates have this
encumbrance, I think the answer is "Yes, that is fine", and the follow-up
question would then be, What is reasonable notification to the user that
there will be encumbrance?
I have thought of a couple of not mutually exclusive choices;
 1. NOTICE and LICENSE file generation into the project stating this.
 2. Documentation of the template.
 3. Warning text when the template is invoked.
 4. Requiring user to actively answer "Yes" on the command line that the
user is aware of the result.

Which of these, and any other, are required beyond first one??

Thanks
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer