polygene-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Proposed Pivot report to ASF Board
Date Sat, 12 Mar 2016 02:45:42 GMT
[sorry for hi-jacking the thread]
[cc; dev@zest.apache.org]

Sandro,
There are two main reasons why I think Zest for Javascript doesn't make
sense.

    a. Zest is partially about solving  problem that doesn't exist in
JavaScript. It super-dynamic nature means that composites are almost
available in it as-is.

    b. I think that "exponentiality" (is that a word?) of JavaScript is
higher than most other languages. It is easier to get going with, but it is
harder to do a good job, execution speeds will be much worse, and
eventually you will just choke yourself to death as entropy sneaks in(more
like storms the fort).

It would make much more sense to introduce Composite Oriented Programming
into derived JS languages, such as TypeScript and CoffeeScript and simply
use JS as a VM.

Personally, I am too knee-deep into having fun with FORTH language to even
consider this at the moment, but feel free to take a stab at it. I will try
to support it, and I think Stanislav is also going to be interested to help
out bootstrapping something like that.

--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer