polygene-dev mailing list archives

From Jiri Jetmar <juergen.jet...@gmail.com>
Subject Apache Zest / Apache Cassandra
Date Sat, 20 Feb 2016 19:38:04 GMT
Hi guys,

what is the status of the Apache Cassandra Entity Store ? Somehow I can
remember that Cassandra was supported but can not
find it in the current development branch.

The reason I;m asking is because Cassandra works well with the analytical
Apache Spark stack.

Assume a scenario where you have e.g. the following Domain Models like :

- Products
- Orders
- Users

Each Domain has  its own Api, Usercases and States that is stored in the
DM. Now you have e.g. a Webshop UI on top of the
above Domains.

Now you want to answer questions like : What kind of Users are buying
Product X. Or, find those Users that are most likely buying
Product X in the next Y days.

To answer those questions is typically a challenge of "Data Analytics"
using algorithm like PCA, Random Forest, Regressions, XGBoost, etc.
All can be done surely in Java, but from my impression the Python community
built over the last years an amazing tool set and environments.

Also a "Data Scientist"  has to try out different things, until a good and
robust prediction is done. So the workflow is interactive and here is where
Apache Spark is offering
great tools, including the usage of the IPython/Jupyter Notebooks. Another
benefit is that one does not need to kick-on any ETL Jobs to transfer the
transactional data from the Domain Models to the analytical world -
Cassandra does this already. So one can do all the analysis on a realtime
snapshot
without influencing the transactional processing.

Thank you.

Cheers,
Jiri