polygene-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Update from Niclas
Date Sat, 13 Feb 2016 03:58:49 GMT
Gang,

I haven't had much time on Zest lately, as I have been busy creating a
low-costWiFi capable, USB-powered temperature sensor. See
http://hedhman.org/~niclas/IndoorioD.jpg

And for the fun of it, I ported FORTH programming language to the ESP8266
CPU that is on this, in Assembler of course. Interpreter, Compiler, base
vocabulary (functions) and REPL in ~1000 assembler instructions, and the
full vocabulary in another 10kbytes or so. It has been a lot of fun.

This little puppy will go for one more round of prototypes next week, as I
want to add an external watchdog and tiny prototyping area for maker
community. Then I intend to make a field test with 100 units or so.

So, why am I telling you all this?

First of all, these guys will report the temperature back to a central
server every 15 minutes or so. And the management system on the server is
written with Zest. The rest is with Grafana and ElasticSearch. I am
considering trying to build a business around data capture, aggregation,
analytics and visualization. Anyone interested to join?

Secondly, I am looking for volunteers for my field test. It will probably
happen in April or so. If you participate, you will receive a USB powered
sensor as seen. Plug it into power somewhere for 6 months, connect to it
over WiFi, configure it to use your WiFi router over a simple web
interface, and keep it powered for 6 months.
If there are problems, I might ask for reboot. Hopefully not any firmware
upgrades.

Let me know if you are interested in this.

So, as the device design and software is soon coming to a good state, I
will return my focus on the central server, which means that I will get
back to Zest development shortly. It has been far too quite recently.

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer