polygene-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Update from Niclas
Date Sun, 14 Feb 2016 16:52:26 GMT
Forgot to answer the ESP8266 aspect... If you don't know the ESP8266, it is
an amazing microcontroller; 32bit, ADC and WiFi built-in, incl the TCP/IP
stack (LWIP v4 anf v6). And it cost about $1. You can get a complete module
with 4MB Flash for $1.90.

I have worked a lot in building automation, that means the climate control
systems in larger buildings (and not DIY home owners and makers). Indoor
temperature sensors are extremely expensive (think $1000) to install after
the building is up and running. So, I am simply offering a $15 device,
which is powered by USB (Mains-to-USB adapters are plentiful), so it can be
quickly installed (think 10mins, incl config) where ever there is a mains
plug.

But that is, as you realize, only the beginning. It will all come down to
the data and what to do with it. And that is where the bulk of the work is,
but also where the differentiation from Chinese shops, which will
eventually sell anything successful at "cost+5%" or less.

Cheers
Niclas