polygene-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <hedh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Update from Niclas
Date Mon, 15 Feb 2016 07:54:10 GMT
This thread is well off-topic, but we are a small group of friendly people
so I don't mind. Someone else might, and if so... Speak up.

Jiri; powering is an interesting longer term challenge. I don't want too
much on the plate in the beginning, and rather have a MVP going out the
door now, than solving a larger task by next year.
But I like your idea, and should research it further. The peek power
however is more like 700mW at full WiFi transmit. Super-capacitor to the
rescue, I guess.

Roman; I have always been fascinated by the simplicity of Forth, and it has
been fun doing Assembler again.
Forth isn't necessary for the temperature sensor device and the sensor
network built on top of it. But I want to see if it makes sense to create a
user programmable platform on top of Forth, for automation systems
integrators can use. I did a block programming system in Java for this
purpose, and think I can run the same thing on Forth and a fraction in
size. My target for that is the upcoming ESP-32, dual core and a whopping
400kB or so of usable RAM. The CEO told me over beer, that it is expected
to only cost about 20% more...

So, one of the next steps is a WiFi PID regulator, programmable, maybe two
inputs and a single 0-10V output.

Again, the monitoring, control and data management on top will be key,
together with the local network management for devices to work in unison,
and the security needed whilst keeping it easy to use.

I have heard that NASA uses Forth in missions, but don't know if this is
still the case, or just surviving rumours from the 80s. But as we ride hard
into explosion of super-tiny devices, I think it is the only feasible
alternative to C, and more often than not provides more compact code.

My implementation for ESP8266 is far from done. I am currently chasing a
bug in the compile system, as it seems that the compile BEGIN...UNTIL
and/or IF...ELSE...THEN gets compiled with incorrect jump addresses.
Hopefully I can sort that out in one of these evenings...
After that, I will turn my focus to;

  * Serial over WiFI socket instead of serial ports.

  * GPIO, PWM, ADC and other microcontroller functions.

  * Async message queues, so I can do...

  * Multitasking

  * pre-compile the FORTH vocabulary to ROMable code and not occupy the RAM.

Anyway, I am putting up Jiri and Roman on the list for the field test.

Cheers
Niclas