polygene-dev mailing list archives

From Stanislav Muhametsin <stanislav.muhamet...@zest.mail.kapsi.fi>
Subject Re: [Discuss] Object lifecycles...
Date Thu, 03 Dec 2015 14:17:30 GMT
On 3.12.2015 9:38, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> Gang,
>
> 1. Should Initializable.initalize() be invoked on prototypeFor()?
>
> At the moment, when prototypeFor() (and prototype() I guess) is called on
> TransientBuilder (probably ValueBuilder as well), the mixin's initialize()
> will be called.
> That means that the Composite is not really available (predictably) to the
> Mixin at this point.

In Qi4CS, I have [Initialize] and [Prototype] attributes (@Initialize
and @Prototype annotations in Java).
Methods on fragments marked with these attributes will be invoked by
Qi4CS runtime in the following logic:
1. Methods marked with [Initialize] will be invoked the first time
fragment is created (be it during prototype stage, or composite
creation), right after its constructor finishes executing.
2. Methods marked with [Prototype] will be invoked when the
CompositeBuilder actually creates composite instance (prototype stage
ends), during its NewInstance() method.

Naming is maybe not optimal, but I think you get the general idea.
The concept on not having interfaces and instead using attributes
(annotations) stems from rather old e-mail from you, Niclas.
I see you have revisited this idea later in this mail. :)

> 2. Do we have a solid object lifecycle story at all??
>
> While writing this mail, I start to think that the object lifecycle model
> is severely flawed, and possibly not easily fixed here and there.
>
> I think we need to dig through the requirements from the ground up. I think
> that the Fragments and the Composite need to be separated.
>
> I also wonder if we can indeed utilize finalize(), to get pre/post
> semantics uniformly across all composite meta types... Does anyone have a
> very strong understanding of how finalize() works, and why it is said to be
> "bad" to use it in programs??

Java's 'finalize' and C#'s destructors are very tricky, because most
assumptions that are valid during normal program flow, are not valid in
finalizers/destructors.
For example, in C#, the destructors are always run from within dedicated
finalizer thread (I don't know if Java does that).
Additionally, the fields of object during finalization/destruction might
point to already finalized objects, which can and usually does cause a
lot of subtle bugs.

Personally, I've taken the stance recommended by C# - only use
destructors if your object needs to free native resources when it is no
longer used.

> What I would like to see is pairs of annotations with strong semantics,
> something like (maybe better names)
>
> @OnEntityCreation   // called on EntityBuilder.newInstance()
> @OnEntityDeletion   // called on UnitOfWork.remove()
>
> @OnCompositeConstruction  // called when in-memory instance created
> @OnCompositeDestruction    // called via finalize() or UnitOfWork teardown.
>
> @OnMixinCreation      // Called after Mixin constructor call.
> @OnMixinDestruction  // called via @OnCompositeDestruction
>
> I am not sure if we need to separate the prototype/prototypeFor creation
> from the instantiation of 'final' Mixin instance that goes into the
> Composite.
>
> And in the process "fix" the ServiceComposite story as well, i.e.
>
> @OnServiceActivation
> @OnServicePassivation
>
> And in the process get rid of the all the related interfaces;
> Initializable
> Lifecycle
> Activatable
> ServiceActivator
>
> and so on.
>
> Any thoughts?

I think annotations are excellent idea, and they have worked for me in
Qi4CS very well.
One thing you need to be careful of, is in which order you invoke them:
base-class-first or bottommost-class-first in class inheritance hierarchy.
IIRC Qi4CS invokes the attributed (annotated) methods with
base-class-first strategy.
If a single class contains multiple methods marked with same attribute,
the order is whichever way they are returned by reflection (this is
checked only once - during code generation, once code is generated, the
order will always be the same).

One very good thing (which you pointed out in the old e-mail) is that
attributed (annotated) methods can have parameter injections, and if
these injected values are used *only* in the lifecycle stage indicated
by attribute (annotation), then you don't need to have these injections
in fields.