polygene-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Request feedback of Press Release
Date Mon, 03 Aug 2015 17:30:45 GMT
Sally, almost forgot about it... Sorry...

Your feedback is good. One thing, please change;
    "This 2.1 release is an important stepping stone towards the future,"
said Paul Merlin,
   "This 2.1 release, filled with new features and some bug fixes, is an
important stepping stone towards the future." said Paul Merlin,

Otherwise, we have completed all steps on our end.

Thanks.
Niclas

On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 10:44 AM, Sally Khudairi
<sallykhudairi@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:

> Hello Niclas and team Zest --as promised, below are my revisions, based
on Niclas' draft.

> As mentioned before, if we can lock in the copy by 7PM ET (GMT -5) on
Monday 3 August, we can announce the next day; otherwise, we can announce
on Wednesday.

> I appreciate your patience and look forward to your feedback.
Corrections/comments/additions welcome!

> Cheers,
> Sally
>
> + apologies in advance for any spacing wonkiness; my email client has
"upgraded" some new features that don't like to play nice with plaintext ;-P

> = = =
>
> DRAFT :: NOT FOR DISTRIBUTION
>
> The Apache Software Foundation announces Apache™ Zest™ v2.1
>
> Open Source Composite Oriented Programming platform and tools provides
"New Energy For Java"

> Forest Hill, MD –4 August 2015– The Apache Software Foundation (ASF), the
all-volunteer developers, stewards, and incubators of more than 350 Open
Source projects and initiatives, announced today the immediate availability
of Apache™ Zest™ Java Edition v.2.1, the Composite Oriented Programming
platform leveraging Java.

> As Java is not an object-oriented language (thereby limiting code reuse
and recycling), Composite Oriented Programming (COP) defines a whole new
paradigm of how software is written, where INTENT is expressed and enforced
by execution environment, helping developers to be disciplinary and in
return improving efficiency and clarity. Composite Oriented Programming
allows developers to work with 'fragments', smaller than classes, and
'compose' fragments into larger 'composites' which acts like the regular
objects. Apache Zest also tackles the enforcement of application
composition, i.e. composites are declared in modules, modules are contained
in layers and access between how layers are controlled/enforced.

> "Apache Zest is a completely new way of writing software", said Niclas
Hedhman, Vice President of Apache Zest. "Object orientation isn't the
appropriate abstraction, as objects in real application get too bloated and
inter-dependent. By working with fragments, it is possible to break the
objects down the respective roles that objects typically have, and mix
those roles across different types of objects."

> Apache Zest integrates aspect oriented programming, persistence,
indexing/query, architecture enforcement and dependency injection.

> "This 2.1 release is an important stepping stone towards the future,"
said Paul Merlin, Apache Zest Release Manager. "Compatibility with Qi4j 2.0
API has been maintained, but all documentation and other references are
fully converted to Apache Zest, and in Zest 3.0 the transformation will be
completed."

> "Apache Zest challenges us Java developers to think differently, but
enables increased productivity and fewer bugs," said Jiri Jetmar, member of
the Apache Zest Project Management Committee and long-time Zest user. "We
find that nearly all boiler-plate code, often found in JPA applications are
completely eradicated, without mapping configuration and other details that
just slows you down."

> "Apache Zest's slogan --'New Energy for Java - Classes are Dead, Long
Live Interfaces' -- truly captures what Apache Zest is really about:
designing software efficiently," added Hedhman. "We are now looking forward
to Zest 3.0, with many new interesting features, such Messaging
integration, Event Sourcing, Timeseries, Geospatial Support, and much more.
All with Java 8 goodness."

> Zest originated as Qi4j in 2007, roughly four years following Rickard
Öberg's inception of Composite Oriented Programming (COP). In early 2007,
Hedhman convinced Öberg to start a new Open Source project around this
concept, and Qi4j was born. Since the project's was first announced at the
2007 Oredev conference, 28 people have contributed source to the project,
and many others have participated on mailing lists regarding direction,
concepts and design.

> Apache Zest has the unique designation as the first project to enter the
ASF as a pTLP –provisional Top-Level Project– without entering the Apache
Incubator (the official entry path for projects and codebases wishing to
become part of the efforts at The Apache Software Foundation). As part of
its eligibility, Apache Zest had to meet the rigorous requirements of the
Apache Maturity Model http://s.apache.org/O4p , which addresses the
integrity of a project's code, copyright, licenses, releases, consensus
building, and independence, among other qualities. Apache Zest became an
official ASF Top-Level Project in March 2015.

> "Apache Zest arrived to the Apache Software Foundation four months ago,
and we are incredibly satisfied with the progress on both the codebase as
well as the transition from our previous Qi4j identity", added Hedhman.

> Catch Apache Zest in action on 2 October 2015 at ApacheCon: Core in
Budapest, where many members of the core development team will be available
for questions and more before and after the presentation
http://sched.co/3x3Y

> Availability and Oversight
> Apache Zest software is released under the Apache License v2.0 and is
overseen by a self-selected team of active contributors to the project. A
Project Management Committee (PMC) guides the Project's day-to-day
operations, including community development and product releases. For
downloads, documentation, and ways to become involved with Apache Zest,
visit http://zest.apache.org/

> About The Apache Software Foundation (ASF)
> Established in 1999, the all-volunteer Foundation oversees more than 350
leading Open Source projects, including Apache HTTP Server --the world's
most popular Web server software. Through the ASF's meritocratic process
known as "The Apache Way," more than 550 individual Members and 4,700
Committers successfully collaborate to develop freely available
enterprise-grade software, benefiting millions of users worldwide:
thousands of software solutions are distributed under the Apache License;
and the community actively participates in ASF mailing lists, mentoring
initiatives, and ApacheCon, the Foundation's official user conference,
trainings, and expo. The ASF is a US 501(c)(3) charitable organization,
funded by individual donations and corporate sponsors including Bloomberg,
Budget Direct, Cerner, Citrix, Cloudera, Comcast, Facebook, Google,
Hortonworks, HP, IBM, InMotion Hosting, iSigma, Matt Mullenweg, Microsoft,
Pivotal, Produban, WANdisco, and Yahoo. For more information, visit
http://www.apache.org/ or follow @TheASF on Twitter.

> © The Apache Software Foundation. "Apache", "Zest", "Apache Zest", and
"ApacheCon" are registered trademarks or trademarks of the Apache Software
Foundation in the United States and/or other countries. All other brands
and trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

> # # #
>

> [MEDIA CONTACT:SALLY]
>
> ________________________________
> From: Sally Khudairi <sallykhudairi@yahoo.com>

feedback/edits), we can announce as early as next week. The preferred
announcement days for optimum media coverage are, in order, Tuesdays,
followed by Mondays, then Wednesdays.

> I'm hoping we can lock in the copy by 7PM ET on Monday, 3 August, so we
can announce the following morning (~6AM ET). If not, then we'll add 24
hours, and go live on Wednesday 5 August.

> I'll add this to my list and will be back in touch soon.
>
> Warmly,
> Sally
>

> [From the mobile; please excuse top-posting, spelling/spacing errors, and
brevity]

push code into right position remains) of our first release at ASF.

> Below is my proposed press release statement, and we would value any
professional feedback on it, as well as the "point of no return" time for
your suggested press release time, if you understand what you mean. "When
do we have to be sure everything is in place, and if not we can abort your
'push button' for it to go out?"

> Also, I didn't add the standard footer and other embellishments, which I
see is always present. I'll let you do that, to ensure the right version is
used.

> -o-o-o-o-
>
> Apache Software Foundation announces Apache Zest 2.1
>
> The
> Apache Software Foundation (ASF), the all-volunteer developers,
> stewards, and incubators of more than 170 Open Source projects and
> initiatives, today announced the release of Apache Zest Java Edition
> 2.1, the Composite Oriented Programming platform leveraging Java.
>
> "Apache
> Zest arrived to the Apache Software Foundation four months ago, and we
> are incredibly satisfied with the progress on both the codebase as well
> as the transition from our previous Qi4j identity", said Niclas Hedhman,
> the V.P of Apache Zest.
>

> From Apache Zest's home page we can read; Composite Oriented Programming
allows developers to
> work with 'fragments', smaller than classes, and 'compose' fragments
> into larger 'composites' which acts like the regular objects. Apache
> Zest also tackles the enforcement of application composition, i.e.
> composites are declared in modules, modules are contained in layers and
> access between layers are controlled/enforced.
> Niclas continues; "Apache Zest is a
> completely new way of writing software. Object orientation isn't the
> appropriate abstraction, as objects in real application get too bloated
> and inter-dependent. By working with fragments, it is possible to break
> the objects down the respective roles that objects typically have, and
> mix those roles across different types of objects."
>
> Apache
> Zest integrates aspect oriented programming, persistence,
> indexing/query, architecture enforcement and dependency injection.
>
> "This
> 2.1 release is a important stepping stone towards the future.", says
> Paul Merlin, the Release Manager of Apache Zest. "Compatibility with
> Qi4j 2.0 API has been maintained, but all documentation and other
> references are fully converted to Apache Zest, and in Zest 3.0 the
> transformation will be completed."
>

> "Apache Zest
> challenges us Java developers to think differently, but enables
> increased productivity and fewer bugs.", says Jiri Jetmar, a Project
> Management Committee member and long-time user of Zest. "We find that
> nearly all boiler-plate code, often found in JPA applications are
> completely eradicated, without mapping configuration and other details
> that just slows you down."
>

> Niclas
> concludes; "Apache Zest has the slogan 'New Energy for Java - Classes
> are Dead, Long Live Interfaces", and that truly capture what Apache Zest
is really about. Designing software efficiently. We are now looking
> forward to Zest 3.0, with many new interesting features, such Messaging
> integration, Event Sourcing, Timeseries, Geospatial Support and much
> more. All with Java 8 goodness."
>

> Apache Zest is available both at https://zest.apache.org/download, as
well as Maven Central under the groupId of "org.qi4j"

> For an in-depth presentation of Apache Zest, please come to ApacheCon:Core
> in Budapest. Apache Zest is presented on the 2 October 2015, and most of
the core development team will be available for questions, discussions,
introductions and more, before and after the presentation.