polygene-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Merlin <paulmer...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Request feedback of Press Release
Date Tue, 04 Aug 2015 10:29:04 GMT
Hello Sally,

Thank you!

/Paul

Sally Khudairi a écrit :
> Hello everyone --we are live:
>
> - NASDAQ GlobeNewswire [confirmed, link forthcoming; site is experiencing a temporary
caching delay]
> - ASF "Foundatoin" blog http://s.apache.org/WMr
> - @TheASF Twitter Feed https://twitter.com/TheASF/status/628505943974780928
>
> ...plus to announce@apache.org and our dedicated media/analyst list. This will appear
on the apache.org homepage and archives during the next auto-update, which should take place
within the next half hour.

TheApacheFoundation <press@apache.org>

we can announce the next day; otherwise, we can announce on Wednesday.

> I appreciate your patience and look forward to your feedback. Corrections/comments/additions
welcome!

> Cheers,
> Sally
>
> + apologies in advance for any spacing wonkiness; my email client has "upgraded" some
new features that don't like to play nice with plaintext ;-P

> = = =
>
> DRAFT :: NOT FOR DISTRIBUTION
>
> The Apache Software Foundation announces Apache™ Zest™ v2.1
>
> Open Source Composite Oriented Programming platform and tools provides "New Energy For
Java"

> Forest Hill, MD –4 August 2015– The Apache Software Foundation (ASF), the all-volunteer
developers, stewards, and incubators of more than 350 Open Source projects and initiatives,
announced today the immediate availability of Apache™ Zest™ Java Edition v.2.1, the Composite
Oriented Programming platform leveraging Java.

> As Java is not an object-oriented language (thereby limiting code reuse and recycling),
Composite Oriented Programming (COP) defines a whole new paradigm of how software is written,
where INTENT is expressed and enforced by execution environment, helping developers to be
disciplinary and in return improving efficiency and clarity. Composite Oriented Programming
allows developers to work with 'fragments', smaller than classes, and 'compose' fragments
into larger 'composites' which acts like the regular objects. Apache Zest also tackles the
enforcement of application composition, i.e. composites are declared in modules, modules are
contained in layers and access between how layers are controlled/enforced.

> "Apache Zest is a completely new way of writing software", said Niclas Hedhman, Vice
President of Apache Zest. "Object orientation isn't the appropriate abstraction, as objects
in real application get too bloated and inter-dependent. By working with fragments, it is
possible to break the objects down the respective roles that objects typically have, and mix
those roles across different types of objects."

> Apache Zest integrates aspect oriented programming, persistence, indexing/query, architecture
enforcement and dependency injection.

> "This 2.1 release is an important stepping stone towards the future," said Paul Merlin,
Apache Zest Release Manager. "Compatibility with Qi4j 2.0 API has been maintained, but all
documentation and other references are fully converted to Apache Zest, and in Zest 3.0 the
transformation will be completed."

> "Apache Zest challenges us Java developers to think differently, but enables increased
productivity and fewer bugs," said Jiri Jetmar, member of the Apache Zest Project Management
Committee and long-time Zest user. "We find that nearly all boiler-plate code, often found
in JPA applications are completely eradicated, without mapping configuration and other details
that just slows you down."

> "Apache Zest's slogan --'New Energy for Java - Classes are Dead, Long Live Interfaces'
-- truly captures what Apache Zest is really about: designing software efficiently," added
Hedhman. "We are now looking forward to Zest 3.0, with many new interesting features, such
Messaging integration, Event Sourcing, Timeseries, Geospatial Support, and much more. All
with Java 8 goodness."

> Zest originated as Qi4j in 2007, roughly four years following Rickard Öberg's inception
of Composite Oriented Programming (COP). In early 2007, Hedhman convinced Öberg to start
a new Open Source project around this concept, and Qi4j was born. Since the project's was
first announced at the 2007 Oredev conference, 28 people have contributed source to the project,
and many others have participated on mailing lists regarding direction, concepts and design.

> Apache Zest has the unique designation as the first project to enter the ASF as a pTLP
–provisional Top-Level Project– without entering the Apache Incubator (the official entry
path for projects and codebases wishing to become part of the efforts at The Apache Software
Foundation). As part of its eligibility, Apache Zest had to meet the rigorous requirements
of the Apache Maturity Model http://s.apache.org/O4p , which addresses the integrity of a
project's code, copyright, licenses, releases, consensus building, and independence, among
other qualities. Apache Zest became an official ASF Top-Level Project in March 2015.

> "Apache Zest arrived to the Apache Software Foundation four months ago, and we are incredibly
satisfied with the progress on both the codebase as well as the transition from our previous
Qi4j identity", added Hedhman.

> Catch Apache Zest in action on 2 October 2015 at ApacheCon: Core in Budapest, where many
members of the core development team will be available for questions and more before and after
the presentation http://sched.co/3x3Y

> Availability and Oversight
> Apache Zest software is released under the Apache License v2.0 and is overseen by a self-selected
team of active contributors to the project. A Project Management Committee (PMC) guides the
Project's day-to-day operations, including community development and product releases. For
downloads, documentation, and ways to become involved with Apache Zest, visit http://zest.apache.org/

> About The Apache Software Foundation (ASF)
> Established in 1999, the all-volunteer Foundation oversees more than 350 leading Open
Source projects, including Apache HTTP Server --the world's most popular Web server software.
Through the ASF's meritocratic process known as "The Apache Way," more than 550 individual
Members and 4,700 Committers successfully collaborate to develop freely available enterprise-grade
software, benefiting millions of users worldwide: thousands of software solutions are distributed
under the Apache License; and the community actively participates in ASF mailing lists, mentoring
initiatives, and ApacheCon, the Foundation's official user conference, trainings, and expo.
The ASF is a US 501(c)(3) charitable organization, funded by individual donations and corporate
sponsors including Bloomberg, Budget Direct, Cerner, Citrix, Cloudera, Comcast, Facebook,
Google, Hortonworks, HP, IBM, InMotion Hosting, iSigma, Matt Mullenweg, Microsoft, Pivotal,
Produban, WANdisco, and Yahoo. For more information, visit http://www.apache.org/ or follow
@TheASF on Twitter.

> © The Apache Software Foundation. "Apache", "Zest", "Apache Zest", and "ApacheCon" are
registered trademarks or trademarks of the Apache Software Foundation in the United States
and/or other countries. All other brands and trademarks are the property of their respective
owners.

> # # #
>

> [MEDIA CONTACT:SALLY]
>
> ________________________________

as early as next week. The preferred announcement days for optimum media coverage are, in
order, Tuesdays, followed by Mondays, then Wednesdays.

> I'm hoping we can lock in the copy by 7PM ET on Monday, 3 August, so we can announce
the following morning (~6AM ET). If not, then we'll add 24 hours, and go live on Wednesday
5 August.

> I'll add this to my list and will be back in touch soon.
>
> Warmly,
> Sally
>

> [From the mobile; please excuse top-posting, spelling/spacing errors, and brevity]

right position remains) of our first release at ASF.

> Below is my proposed press release statement, and we would value any professional feedback
on it, as well as the "point of no return" time for your suggested press release time, if
you understand what you mean. "When do we have to be sure everything is in place, and if not
we can abort your 'push button' for it to go out?"

> Also, I didn't add the standard footer and other embellishments, which I see is always
present. I'll let you do that, to ensure the right version is used.

> -o-o-o-o-
>
> Apache Software Foundation announces Apache Zest 2.1
>
> The
> Apache Software Foundation (ASF), the all-volunteer developers,
> stewards, and incubators of more than 170 Open Source projects and
> initiatives, today announced the release of Apache Zest Java Edition
> 2.1, the Composite Oriented Programming platform leveraging Java.
>
> "Apache
> Zest arrived to the Apache Software Foundation four months ago, and we
> are incredibly satisfied with the progress on both the codebase as well
> as the transition from our previous Qi4j identity", said Niclas Hedhman,
> the V.P of Apache Zest.
>

> From Apache Zest's home page we can read; Composite Oriented Programming allows developers
> work with 'fragments', smaller than classes, and 'compose' fragments
> into larger 'composites' which acts like the regular objects. Apache
> Zest also tackles the enforcement of application composition, i.e.
> composites are declared in modules, modules are contained in layers and
> access between layers are controlled/enforced.
> Niclas continues; "Apache Zest is a
> completely new way of writing software. Object orientation isn't the
> appropriate abstraction, as objects in real application get too bloated
> and inter-dependent. By working with fragments, it is possible to break
> the objects down the respective roles that objects typically have, and
> mix those roles across different types of objects."
>
> Apache
> Zest integrates aspect oriented programming, persistence,
> indexing/query, architecture enforcement and dependency injection.
>
> "This
> 2.1 release is a important stepping stone towards the future.", says
> Paul Merlin, the Release Manager of Apache Zest. "Compatibility with
> Qi4j 2.0 API has been maintained, but all documentation and other
> references are fully converted to Apache Zest, and in Zest 3.0 the
> transformation will be completed."
>

> "Apache Zest
> challenges us Java developers to think differently, but enables
> increased productivity and fewer bugs.", says Jiri Jetmar, a Project
> Management Committee member and long-time user of Zest. "We find that
> nearly all boiler-plate code, often found in JPA applications are
> completely eradicated, without mapping configuration and other details
> that just slows you down."
>

> Niclas
> concludes; "Apache Zest has the slogan 'New Energy for Java - Classes
> are Dead, Long Live Interfaces", and that truly capture what Apache Zest is really about.
Designing software efficiently. We are now looking
> forward to Zest 3.0, with many new interesting features, such Messaging
> integration, Event Sourcing, Timeseries, Geospatial Support and much
> more. All with Java 8 goodness."
>

> Apache Zest is available both at https://zest.apache.org/download, as well as Maven Central
under the groupId of "org.qi4j"

> For an in-depth presentation of Apache Zest, please come to ApacheCon:Core
> in Budapest. Apache Zest is presented on the 2 October 2015, and most of the core development
team will be available for questions, discussions, introductions and more, before and after
the presentation.