polygene-dev mailing list archives

From "Sally Khudairi" <sallykhuda...@yahoo.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: Request feedback of Press Release
Date Fri, 31 Jul 2015 08:36:59 GMT
Amazing, Niclas --what a comprehensive job you've done here!

Gold star for you :^)

If everything is ready on your end (and you merely await my feedback/edits), we can announce
as early as next week. The preferred announcement days for optimum media coverage are, in
order, Tuesdays, followed by Mondays, then Wednesdays.

I'm hoping we can lock in the copy by 7PM ET on Monday, 3 August, so we can announce the following
morning (~6AM ET). If not, then we'll add 24 hours, and go live on Wednesday 5 August.

I'll add this to my list and will be back in touch soon.

Warmly,
Sally

[From the mobile; please excuse top-posting, spelling/spacing errors, and brevity]

----- Reply message -----
From: "Niclas Hedhman" <niclas@hedhman.org>
To: "TheApacheFoundation" <press@apache.org>
Cc: "dev" <dev@zest.apache.org>
Subject: Request feedback of Press Release
Date: Thu, Jul 30, 2015 23:09

Sally,
We are now in the final stages (vote has passed, and a relatively simple push code into right
position remains) of our first release at ASF.

Below is my proposed press release statement, and we would value any professional feedback
on it, as well as the "point of no return" time for your suggested press release time, if
you understand what you mean. "When do we have to be sure everything is in place, and if not
we can abort your 'push button' for it to go out?"

Also, I didn't add the standard footer and other embellishments, which I see is always present.
I'll let you do that, to ensure the right version is used.

-o-o-o-o-

Apache Software Foundation announces Apache Zest 2.1

The
Apache Software Foundation (ASF), the all-volunteer developers,
stewards, and incubators of more than 170 Open Source projects and
initiatives, today announced the release of Apache Zest Java Edition
2.1, the Composite Oriented Programming platform leveraging Java.

"Apache
Zest arrived to the Apache Software Foundation four months ago, and we
are incredibly satisfied with the progress on both the codebase as well
as the transition from our previous Qi4j identity", said Niclas Hedhman,
the V.P of Apache Zest.

From Apache Zest's home page we can read; Composite Oriented Programming allows developers
work with 'fragments', smaller than classes, and 'compose' fragments
into larger 'composites' which acts like the regular objects. Apache
Zest also tackles the enforcement of application composition, i.e.
composites are declared in modules, modules are contained in layers and
access between layers are controlled/enforced.

Niclas continues; "Apache Zest is a
completely new way of writing software. Object orientation isn't the
appropriate abstraction, as objects in real application get too bloated
and inter-dependent. By working with fragments, it is possible to break
the objects down the respective roles that objects typically have, and
mix those roles across different types of objects."

Apache
Zest integrates aspect oriented programming, persistence,
indexing/query, architecture enforcement and dependency injection.

"This
2.1 release is a important stepping stone towards the future.", says
Paul Merlin, the Release Manager of Apache Zest. "Compatibility with
Qi4j 2.0 API has been maintained, but all documentation and other
references are fully converted to Apache Zest, and in Zest 3.0 the
transformation will be completed."

"Apache Zest
challenges us Java developers to think differently, but enables
increased productivity and fewer bugs.", says Jiri Jetmar, a Project
Management Committee member and long-time user of Zest. "We find that
nearly all boiler-plate code, often found in JPA applications are
completely eradicated, without mapping configuration and other details
that just slows you down."

Niclas
concludes; "Apache Zest has the slogan 'New Energy for Java - Classes
are Dead, Long Live Interfaces", and that truly capture what Apache Zest
is really about. Designing software efficiently. We are now looking
forward to Zest 3.0, with many new interesting features, such Messaging
integration, Event Sourcing, Timeseries, Geospatial Support and much
more. All with Java 8 goodness."

Apache Zest is available both at https://zest.apache.org/download, as well as Maven Central
under the groupId of "org.qi4j"

For
an in-depth presentation of Apache Zest, please come to ApacheCon:Core
in Budapest. Apache Zest is presented on the 2 October 2015, and most of
the core development team will be available for questions, discussions,
introductions and more, before and after the presentation.
-o-o-o-o-

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer