polygene-dev mailing list archives

From Stanislav Muhametsin <stanislav.muhamet...@zest.mail.kapsi.fi>
Subject Re: Qi4CS and Zest
Date Thu, 02 Jul 2015 10:29:23 GMT
On 2.7.2015 13:15, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> Well, I don't think I grasp that idea yet.
> As Zest is now, during bootstrap, the user define the Assembly, which is
> used to create the Model, from which the Instances are created and bound.
> But I somehow have a gut feeling that your "Model" is not the same concept
> as the Zest "Model".

It is very much the same as in Zest then - most likely just very
different API. :)

> It was decided a long time ago, that allowing types to morph in runtime is
> an anti-pattern and practically creates more problems than it solves. Not
> sure if you are suggesting that you are actually supporting that, i.e.
>     AnimalComposite something = ....;
>     typeManager.addType( something, Prey.class );
>
> In the primordial version of Qi4j, that was possible, but really makes the
> brain tired and troubleshooting a hair-pulling contest.

Ah yes, the models in Qi4CS are immutable as well, once they are created.
So you can't do that in Qi4CS - just like in Zest, all mutable
operations (introducing composite types and fragment types) are done on
assembling level.
One serious problem mutable models would create in Qi4CS is that code
generation would get broken (or CLR assemblies would need to be re-emitted).

Perhaps Zest already has the Assembling/Model/Instance layers, but not
as explicit as in Qi4CS. :)