polygene-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: GeoSpatial Query support
Date Sat, 06 Jun 2015 03:41:29 GMT
Thanks Martin, that gives a nice overview of the situation (you should
plaster that on frontpage)...

Zest gang,
So, I think our challenge is to be able to introduce Geospatial
indexing/querying, without introducing a dependency.

What do I mean by this?

Well, we already have another "Custom Query" type, the Lucene free-text
search, which couldn't be fitted nicely into the very nature of the
UnitOfWork/QueryExpressions/QueryBuilder system.

So let's hypothesize about;
  * Ability to introduce new indexable data types,
  * Ability to introduce extensions to the Query DSL
  * Ability to extend the Indexing/Query extension itself.

Where is the root of this system? Well, it all begins in the UnitOfWork.
So, one possibility would be to disconnect UnitOfWorkFactory from the
Module itself, and have a ServiceComposite for the UnitOfWorkFactory. Once
the UnifOfWorkFactory implementation is outside the Core Runtime, so is
UnitOfWork and everything that derives from it. It SHOULD mean that all
parts could be Composites, in which case we can add arbitrary methods to
them, the static methods of QueryExpressions could go away and probably
other, yet to be discovered, benefits.

Granted, it won't be common for users to create their own, but having this
possibility, without becoming incompatible and without introducing
dependencies in the Core, seems to me to be worthwhile going down this
route. Having such a major part of the Core to be on the "Composite-side of
things", might open up more cool ideas...
It also feels "right" along our habit of breaking things out of Core and
moving towards more modularity.

On paper, it sounds reasonably easy to do this, but I bet the devil is in
the details. Maybe an impossible circular dependency will arise, or
something to that extent.

Any thought on this?

Cheers

--