polygene-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Desruisseaux <martin.desruisse...@geomatys.com>
Subject Re: GeoSpatial Query support
Date Fri, 05 Jun 2015 08:57:22 GMT
Thanks Chris for getting Zest and SIS in touch. I just finished reading
the thread. There is some tips for information purpose:

Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> So, IF SIS are primarily based around interfaces, then that would be
> great and we can possibly leverage quite a bit, especially at what we
> call "Library" level, i.e. not part of the Core runtime itself, which
> we try to keep free of dependencies
The core part of SIS is defined by a set of interfaces provided by a
separated project: http://www.geoapi.org/. GeoAPI consists of only
interfaces, except some classes for Exception, Enum and "CodeList"
(similar to Enum but extensible). GeoAPI is based on some international
standards published jointly by the Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) and
International Organization for Standardization (ISO). It currently
covers only a small part of OGC standards, but this includes map
projections.

Apache SIS is a GeoAPI 3.0 implementation. The GeoAPI project provides
also implementations as wrappers around Proj.4 (the C/C++ library used
by GDAL) and the UCAR NetCDF library. All those projects have advantages
and inconvenient (e.g. Proj.4 supports a wider range of map projections
than SIS, but SIS is more compliant with OGC/ISO standards). But if Zest
depends directly on only GeoAPI interfaces you would have the freedom to
change implementation. However I do not know if Spatial4J would be
interested to implement GeoAPI interfaces.

On geometry and indexing, there is no satisfying solution on GeoAPI side
yet. In particular, geometries are defined by the ISO 19107
international standard, which is currently under revision. This will
have a deep impact on GeoAPI once the ISO revision will be completed.

Please let us know if you would like to explore further (e.g. how to
apply a map projection using the API defined by GeoAPI).

    Martin