polygene-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Fwd: Apache Zest
Date Sun, 10 May 2015 23:14:39 GMT
On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 2:56 AM, Jiri Jetmar <juergen.jetmar@gmail.com>
wrote:
> while I look at the Logo I get a feeling of hunger.. :-)

Mission accomplished!!

> What is the story behind it ? A logo has something to do with story
> telling.
> So when someone wants to know about Apache Zest what does the logo
> express ?

Ahhhh.... Well, that was a tale from 2007...

Chinese has many ideograms that are pronounced "Qi" (chee, as in
"chicken"),

First an foremost is what the intent was when it was seelcted;
    气  - vital energy, energy of life, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qi

but many, many others... A sample...
起  - Start, begin or build
期  - scheduled time, appointment
启  - awaken
契  - contract
岐  - divergent
汽  - steam

(Only selected the related ones ;-) )

In some Chinese folklore, the source of the 气 comes from rice, and hence
the rice bowl of steamed rice, in the "spirit" of the Java logo.[1]

I hope this helps...

[1] I was attending Oredev (developer's conference) and was wearing a Qi4j
T-shirt, and a Microsoft product manager started talking to me, under the
impression that I was with Sun's Java team, and needed to be reminded that
it wasn't.

Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer