polygene-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject toValue() & toEntity()
Date Fri, 22 May 2015 01:56:59 GMT
Gang,

I have been working on putting this feature into the core, and a few things
have turned up which needs a bit discussion.

1. I placed the methods in Qi4jSPI, since many similar methods are located
there. But since a UnitOfWork is required for both methods, wouldn't it
make more sense to place them in the UnitOfWork interface??

2. Now we can have Associations in Values.... but we can't populate them.
Currently, when one try to set any of the Associations with a Value, the
runtime traps this as the object not being an EntityComposite.
This surfaced when trying to put into a test the semantics of how
associations should be handled. Can't set the association from a builder,
only from the toValue() method.
So, before discussing semantics, should the builder logic be changed to
only require "implements Identity"??

3. Semantically, I don't think that the toEntity() should bother to
validate (or modify) the referenced entity with the value held in the
Association, just take the Identity as-is. I am thinking of the Rest API
usecae, where the toValue() would only pass the identity back to the
client, which avoids "pulling in everything".
HOWEVER, it might make sense to make a distinction between a regular
Association and an @Aggregated one...

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer