polygene-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Application Code Management tool
Date Sun, 26 Apr 2015 05:12:52 GMT
Although we are off-topic, let me challenge common perception that the POM
is easily supported.

Without using the Maven POM parser (is that the one called Atheros?) and
using the resulting Java-level model, the 3rd party is doomed to get the
implied behaviors slightly wrong. There are far too many edge cases to get
wrong.

So, there is no difference between running the Maven parser or running the
Gradle "parser", and in both cases you get a Java-based model back. But
here is the distinction; Gradle has spent a lot more effort to define the
semantics of that model than Maven ever did, especially for multi-module
builds, builds with multiple artifact outputs or builds with advanced
publishing workflows (have they fixed the Maven Release plugin yet??)

I therefor conclude, that the premise of "implement support for Maven very
easily" is misleading, and it is even fallacious to think that "I can parse
the XML myself" for anything but the most trivial POMs.

That said; I was a strong proponent of Maven once upon a time, and the idea
of a "project model" (which may have originated there, I am not sure) is a
very powerful one, which I fully embrace. But models without strong
semantics on behavior are weak models, and Gradle has brought the project
model to the next level. And I am convinced that Gradle will continue to
gain momentum across the board, and eventually beat Maven to the dust on
all fronts.

// Cheers
Niclas

--