polygene-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject QuickCheck instead of JUnit
Date Thu, 09 Apr 2015 23:40:15 GMT
Gang,
Sandro Martini is on the Zest PMC, but seems a bit concerned about creating
noise on the list. But he asked me privately if we should perhaps have a
closer look at QuickCheck and its derivatives.

What convinced me was the following presentation;
http://www.infoq.com/presentations/testing-techniques-case-study

And that John mentions at the end "a language needs lambdas, that's why it
hasn't been possible before Java 8" piqued my interest quite a bit.

Qi4j is heading to "Java 8"-only territory rather rapidly, so the question
now is; Is there a Java 8 implementation of QuickCheck already out there??

Because the QuickScala stuff just scares me to no end. In fact, the Erlang
one is to me a lot better.

For Qi4j, QuickCheck approach seems very very logical, and possibly
enormously beneficial, since it should be specification driven in the first
place. And with a specification for EntityStore or Indexing (both currently
naivly driven by simple unit tests) gives a multiplier effect as well!!

Anyone want to pick this up and do some research?

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer