polygene-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Merlin <p...@nosphere.org>
Subject Re: [HELP] Merge Error
Date Fri, 24 Apr 2015 07:45:11 GMT
Niclas,

> I made the mistake of merging 'Updating_deprecated_methods_in_ASM' to
> 'master', and pushed that before I realized the mistake.
>
> Can anyone figure out what needs to be done to restore 'master'??
I took a quick look.

One could do, on up-to-date master:

  # Reset the master head to the 2.0 release commit
  git reset --hard a675e78c56d9a317af6079ef696b94c070faeabb
  # Force-push the master branch
  git push origin master -f

But, looks like this is forbidden by a pre-receive hook at Apache's git.
Which is fair. Don't rewrite history. Maybe there's a Apache way to
solve this?

Without rewriting history, we need to add a commit to the master branch
that revert its state to the 2.0 release, which is 236 commits back
(please double check this number).

One could do it that way :

  # See git revert --help
  git revert HEAD~236..HEAD --no-edit --no-commit
  git add .
  git commit -m "Commit message for big revert commit"

At the end of the day the master branch would contain the 236? spurious
commits plus one commit reverting all of them. The 2.0 tag would be left
behind, where it belongs.

What should we do?

/Paul