polygene-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Re: Discuss; SLF4J in Core
Date Mon, 30 Mar 2015 22:39:09 GMT
Hey Niclas,

Logging is always going to be a controversial topic! :)
On 30 Mar 2015 at 19:31:01, Niclas Hedhman (niclas@hedhman.org) wrote:

Although codebase is not imported to Apache Zest yet, I am looking at
removing the SLF4J dependency in Core.

As the first step, I want to remove the current logging that is in Core,
simply because it is scattered and primarily in place to support a couple
of development efforts in the past and not really useful to the user of
QI4j.
As a first step, I think that makes sense.

After that I would recommend a different order of the remaining steps, starting with:

Fourth step; Look into "useful" logging from Core, that make sense to users.

Before any implementation, I would try to get consensus on what goals you want to achieve
with logging and how best to achieve them. Btw, I don’t actually disagree with your proposal
there, especially if the extension mechanism you propose is optional.

Second step is to provide a similar extension mechanism for Logging as for
Metrics, and if people plugin a Logging provider, then that will be used.
Even though I’m not that familiar with the Metrics extension point, the idea in itself sounds
good.

Third step is to migrate the LIbraries and other Extensions to use this SPI
mechanism.
I’m assuming the libraries currently also use SLF4J? In any case it makes sense to have
them follow the same steps as core.

Greetings, Marcel