polygene-dev mailing list archives

From Sandro Martini <sandro.mart...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Discuss; SLF4J in Core
Date Tue, 31 Mar 2015 08:16:16 GMT
Hi all,

> Although codebase is not imported to Apache Zest yet, I am looking at
> removing the SLF4J dependency in Core.
+1 from me

> As the first step, I want to remove the current logging that is in Core,
> simply because it is scattered and primarily in place to support a couple
> of development efforts in the past and not really useful to the user of
> QI4j.
but do you think to replace it with something like Log4J2 or Jdk
logging, or simply remove and stay without log for now ?
Generally speaking, stay with Apache projects is a good choice :-) .

Just for info, in some projects I'm seeing (even for Logging) a
reactive approach, like logging events sent to a general service bus
and handled there ... but don't know if could be a good choice here.

> Second step is to provide a similar extension mechanism for Logging as for
> Metrics, and if people plugin a Logging provider, then that will be used.
I think it's good.

> Third step is to migrate the LIbraries and other Extensions to use this SPI
> mechanism.
good, but start with JDK ServiceLoader (at least at the beginning) or
something specific (in Zest codebase) ?

> Fourth step; Look into "useful" logging from Core, that make sense to users.
+1

Bye,
Sandro