polygene-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Discuss; SLF4J in Core
Date Tue, 31 Mar 2015 05:04:04 GMT
Well, Qi4j prides itself (kind of) to have no dependencies in core.
Metrics, Serialization, Indexing, Storage and even Migration are
implemented through the SPI mechanism. The last dependency (ASM) should
likewise be extracted, so that Android can be supported, and possibly need
different code generators for Java 7, 8 and 9.

The pattern that if there is an implementation found through Qi4j's Service
mechanism, it is used. For Metrics that is optional, which I think Logging
also should be.

As to "controversial" ; Yes, I agree. But I think it is similar in nature
to "getters", i.e. a deeply held religious belief, that isn't substantiated
by reasoning.

For all you ASF buffs,
In Qi4j, a "getter/setter" is not a "property". When this was raised, it
was also "controversial", but the model of

   Property<String> name();

is in our opinion "obvious" after the discovery. With "Property", we can
control whethr mutability "works" in the set() method, it can have tags and
other meta information, it can be passed as a "function" to be set and a
lot more.

I think that after the initial "stigma" and a decent solution found,
logging will also be non-controversial.

Cheers
Niclas

--