polygene-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Merlin <p...@nosphere.org>
Subject Re: Discuss; SLF4J in Core
Date Tue, 31 Mar 2015 07:36:33 GMT
Gents,

Niclas Hedhman a écrit :
> Although codebase is not imported to Apache Zest yet, I am looking at
> removing the SLF4J dependency in Core.
>
> As the first step, I want to remove the current logging that is in Core,
> simply because it is scattered and primarily in place to support a couple
> of development efforts in the past and not really useful to the user of
> QI4j.
In the whole Qi4j Core I see no more than a dozen classes where we use
logging.
Very few of them seem usefull.

That's a +1 from me for removing SLF4J from Core.

> Second step is to provide a similar extension mechanism for Logging as for
> Metrics, and if people plugin a Logging provider, then that will be used.
So, like we did for Metrics, we'd have a NullLogging used if no Logging
provider is assembled. We then could bake some for SLF4J,
CommonsLogging, Log4j2 etc... leaving the choice in the hand of the user.

> Third step is to migrate the LIbraries and other Extensions to use this SPI
> mechanism.
A tedious but pretty easy task.

> Fourth step; Look into "useful" logging from Core, that make sense to users.
>
> WDYT?
All in all, your proposition looks good to me.

Cheers

/Paul