poi-user mailing list archives

From Greg Woolsey <greg.wool...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache POI: Content Issue while processing huge excel file with SXSSF
Date Wed, 22 Nov 2017 19:39:12 GMT
The OOXML/Excel 2007+ limit is 2^20 (1,048,576) rows per sheet.  If you are
trying to put 5 million rows on a single sheet, Excel will never open it.

POI streaming may not catch it (it should, but maybe that's the bug), but
OOXML compliant apps (Excel, OpenOffice/LibreOffice, etc.) will consider it
corrupt.

I've written out workbooks with < 1M rows in the past, without using the
streaming format even.  I've just had to notice when I reached the max # on
a sheet and start a new sheet at that point.

See the properties of  org.apache.poi.ss.SpreadsheetVersion.EXCEL2007 enum
for version specific limits.