poi-user mailing list archives

From Jim Talbut <jtal...@spudsoft.co.uk>
Subject Updating charts, especially embedded in PowerPoint
Date Wed, 15 Feb 2017 21:06:18 GMT
Hi,

I'd like to be able to update the data behind charts both in XLSX files
and PPTX files.

I've reached the point where I can change the data for both types of
file (ZipFileInputSteam replacing the embedded Excel workbook with an
updated one), but this isn't reflected in charts.

It seems that charts effectively cache the data that they require in the
charts XML file, and updating the Excel file doesn't achieve very much.

If I open the PPTX file in PowerPoint and do Edit Data it will reflect
the values I've entered, but only for the existing range - I was hoping
that changing the table definition would cause the chart to take on new
data, but it just seems to break the connection (the blue line reflects
my redefined table, but no change to it afterwards will be reflected in
the chart).

So it looks like the only way to update charts is with an object model
for charts (interestingly not the case for Pivot Tables, which I've been
updating for years :)).

Is anyone working on a charts object model for POI?

Has anyone had more success than me with updating existing charts?

Thanks

Jim