poi-user mailing list archives

From "Allison, Timothy B." <talli...@mitre.org>
Subject RE: Question about extracting text from charts in XLSX
Date Mon, 23 Jan 2017 12:18:29 GMT
Hi Chris,
  Good to hear from you.  I don't know if it would help at all, but I'm planning to add chart
support to Tika soon(ish).  I haven't yet opened the ticket on Tika's JIRA, so please open
one there too if that would be of any use to you.

         Best,

                Tim

-----Original Message-----
From: Javen O'Neal [mailto:onealj@apache.org]
Sent: Friday, January 20, 2017 12:45 PM
To: POI Users List <user@poi.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Question about extracting text from charts in XLSX

> When I try to extract the text from the file using
XSSFEventBasedExcelExtractor, it fails to find the chart text.
Our XSSFChart support is pretty limited right now, so I wouldn't be surprised if the extractor
can't find the text on the chart (title, legend series names, axes labels, trending equations,
text boxes). Could you please submit your file and test code as an enhancement request on
bugzilla? [1]

> I cannot easily try 3.16 beta1 as my code won't compile against it.
It looks like we have documented 2 bugs with breaking changes since POI
3.15 final on the changelog [2]. Bug 57366 affects XWPF and bug 60331 affects OOXML (including
XSSF).
If we have introduced undocumented backwards compatibility breaking changes since 3.15, we'd
like to know about them.

[1] Bugzilla https://bz.apache.org/bugzilla/enter_bug.cgi?product=POI
[2] changelog https://poi.apache.org/changes.html

On Jan 20, 2017 09:28, "Chris Bamford" <cbamford@mimecast.com> wrote:

Hi POI folks,

I have an Excel XLSX file containing a simple chart which in turn has some text in it (title,
etc.).
When I try to extract the text from the file using XSSFEventBasedExcelExtractor, it fails
to find the chart text. I have dug around in the code and cannot see any calls which might
do the trick.

I am using POI 3.13 (but have also tried 3.14 and 3.15 with no luck). I cannot easily try
3.16 beta1 as my code won't compile against it.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks
- Chris

Chris Bamford m: +44 7860 405292 <+44%207860%20405292> www.mimecast.com Lead Software
Engineer p: +44 207 847 8700 <+44%2020%207847%208700> Address click here <http://www.mimecast.com/About-us/Contact-us/>
------------------------------
[image: http://www.mimecast.com/]
<https://eu-api.mimecast.com/s/click/1K7xTdhoqgjnB3PEFCIbOXyXcFRLCPDQIpWJzlM0DDXP9DwXxyFBfdyN1-FfZf_k8emxRrT1IgsKcqxw39GNqRRD52O3VXqsqinmthc9N2OL2IXAD1wresRtTGp5xJ3QkNmfZ_HPqJCd8rYyYdM1F_Rb62uc3QjoOODKbdkDVZReRh68OgiOolitPBMAUbX9UWsThNMfSE_TxYg9ZhC-Fg>

[image: LinkedIn]
<https://eu-api.mimecast.com/s/click/Hkg07htbWBc7_Em75CosQxJ2ru1eGQth_HP1KUY1RlHY_IsM5HxskdWs2ghWXfoCRtCkfxhgAwgl5cS4j4hJemUjPEirx3V3JFtZ7VvPbflwGJ80-_k1FhLe8l4WYM_OpiA4pBc9ax_uSXhJtXlmWSqZfkmUA_XOh_rQy5d66a2IBj5Q8VddOBp1lV0VZR1YUWsThNMfSE_TxYg9ZhC-Fg>
[image: YouTube]
<https://eu-api.mimecast.com/s/click/V5cKV3mUEd00vOSgvXwtbd13UQtwfjPO-oOi9sUccnKpr3XLrDnvf_Z6hwcBewtrZnt6XBPICNR6NLdXvoYQ8BBtPCunRyAVPzh5lt1G3A4LHXD0NAtUagfGe-LgEhLbsHhYuLCK2BywylxLGDaiYN_PAIWZjG008GmPIqj6_DAMri1ezRVFKKNAAMsSQulYACIvZ4-pIglKWVMruWpCoQ>
[image: Facebook]
<https://eu-api.mimecast.com/s/click/nduZ2lFoaKYpDnBaBbpScBscQ6ZMV18cTVsm4YhACzF0gpEbQOUn36Xx-roDX9qaal2dAlSz9cIjgc8vEbVnUuKKSzzWgD-9kehjZaXv_JP5_sV1rJ8gMT0_0mpoZZMfKsxriXwHk4qXRAAbX_JOkUmeAXBVucHZwHvE6tCDUmKrk1u_jFvcBN6whYn2CS_elkMVU6B4RDQaEfsYEOSjfg>
[image: Blog]
<https://eu-api.mimecast.com/s/click/V5cKV3mUEd00vOSgvXwtbeONzC40rCci8ltNYlJYNhnKiBxp4xlr7jXkJsaoSOvCOsDcsGdzeJDfwUw00TEe56Olr93W28GGWxVNSR6phPO5hXqBSoihnDdJxllWNurcAd_2BqdLUJVZl9MLG261Xh0Hw-ieiUaRV9cTnLPRoCWCaw_gzIZhOOlU6wcFT5sOm4IpkAaZPCm01L1maxxwig>
[image: Twitter]
<https://eu-api.mimecast.com/s/click/XujAZpejvFW2OIhYbUKIGyl3_Cs_atxje4dyCu9g8wDILtEM0Ehe5KKRPFJPHx_4UeQ-ayKNM3jVbdNO2tbEt3VPCRBYg4JXq_Wd9owjxjdIhbzjJFyQw0PStTFX85RQ-1-DXs8HNoBxB7OUVIfjBbm80zerQX9iyu2hUqSsBeorOQA5m0DSs02m-WfDE0D8jLAa5RIIVovqlaZ03CSyzg>

[image: Jeremy Piven on Phishing Scams]
<https://eu-api.mimecast.com/s/click/0ChSNgfhxT33DvPLIaGrHXD4PVdkYC2zlHE4jbLyzuevQPprDqk-aCv3iVfCMhpLaCneVdHraCEG3iiD7IeduenbKkWchYyFN6zopAbg8wS0xkYzSchxukZQNWGQalPjVGuJb2NT1ZuOXVBn0yuBGXQl2ueqnVZGtp6y77P_ap-yQP-Gmzj51Roh4Egi6MjhopuFHgBt4IHMmhANNN0D4Q>

*Disclaimer*
The information contained in this communication from * cbamford@mimecast.com <cbamford@mimecast.com>
* sent at 2017-01-20 17:28:00 is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended
solely for use by * user@poi.apache.org <user@poi.apache.org> * and others authorized
to receive it. If you are not * user@poi.apache.org <user@poi.apache.org> * you are
hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking action in reliance of
the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

This email message has been scanned for viruses by Mimecast. Mimecast delivers a complete
managed email solution from a single web based platform. For more information please visit
http://www.mimecast.com