poi-user mailing list archives

From Ken Hausam <kah_12...@yahoo.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: Change chart type programmatically?
Date Fri, 15 Jan 2016 03:40:00 GMT
Thanks Nick. I'm a novice here. Didn't even know that .xlsx were zips of XML files.

After changing chart type, only one file changed: the chart1.xml file location in the xl/charts/
directory. I've attached the before (line.xml) and after (stackedbar.xml) files. The diff
isn't enormous, but it doesn't seem trivial either. I couldn't list the actual diff since
the XML is all on one line which makes the diff hard to view as a text diff.

I already tried a very simple change: changing <c:lineChart> to <c:barChart> and
changing <c:grouping val="standard"/> to <c:grouping val="stacked"/> . No luck.
Excel complained with "file format is not valid" when I tried to open it.
Don't know if it makes a difference, but I was using Mac Excel 2011 to change the chart type.
Thanks,Ken

    On Wednesday, January 13, 2016 2:47 AM, Nick Burch <apache@gagravarr.org> wrote:

 On Sat, 9 Jan 2016, Ken Hausam wrote:
> I am using XSSFChart and associated classes to create a line chart using
> Apache POI. Works great! Thanks. My question is, is there an easy way to
> change the chart type programmatically from a line chart to a stacked
> bar chart? I looked quickly at the CTChart class and associated CT
> classes and noticed that the various chart types had their own class.
> This makes me think that it's not as easy as just flipping a chart type
> attribute somewhere, but figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

I haven't looked at the chart stuff recently, so I can't answer off the
top of my head. What I'd suggest you do is firstly create a simple file in
Excel, with one sheet, with a few data points, and one style of chart.
Save that. Next, change the type, and save-as that. Next, unzip both .xlsx
files (rename to .zip and unpack). Now, compare the xml, especially for
sheets and charts, and see what differs. Post a summary of that, and we'll
help if we can!

Nick