poi-user mailing list archives

From Adolfo Rodriguez <pellyado...@yahoo.es>
Subject Most compatible powerpoint strategy
Date Fri, 18 Dec 2015 03:27:49 GMT
Hi, we are evaluating POI to programmatically generate Powerpoint pptx documents with embedded
video.
We have read that (please confirm):    * a powerpoint file created by the last Powerpoint
version can be opened by any other previous Powerpoint version (e.g. Powerpoint 2007 can open
pptx files from Powerpoint 2015)
    * a file generated by a previous Powerpoint version can have compatibility issues
with a newer version (e.g. Powerpoint 2013 can have compatibility issues with a pptx created
for Powerpoint 2010)

Now the questions:
    * If I understand correctly, in order to generate files for all Powerpoint versions
in market, the best strategy would be creating pptx files for the last version Powerpoint
2015. Is that correct?    * Can Apache POI create Powerpoint 2015 files?    * Any special
consideration embedding video? (formats, etc..)    * Is there any way to allow outlook
running a video embedded in a presentation? (it complains about codecs unavailable)

There is not much about this in the documentation, as far as I have seen.

Regarding the file format, pptx, which is supposed to be an XML file, I am a bit confused
because when I try to open a pptx in linux, I just see binary code. I would expect a XML text
file instead. Any idea?

Thanks in advance