poi-user mailing list archives

From Nick Burch <apa...@gagravarr.org>
Subject Re: POI XSSF and ClipBoard issue
Date Thu, 22 Oct 2015 13:50:00 GMT
On Thu, 22 Oct 2015, Sam' wrote:
> Yes the attachment is in XSSF format. I produced the file without POI. That
> means I opened Excel on my computer, then fill the cell and add a comment
> and saved it.
>
> Then I opened it again, clicked on the first cell and did a copy of it.
> Then after, I do a "paste" in my Java application and I'm trying to decode
> what's in it, and give it to POI.

Ah, that explains why things might be being a bit odd. (It might be like
password protected files, which get wrapped up in odd ways, or might be
something else...)

> So technically, I am not providing a full spreadsheet file. Simply
> extracting what Excel has put into the clipboard. And apparently something
> was put in it into a Biff8 format. And that "something" was ok for POI. Now
> that if I'm extracting from the clipboard the "XML Spreadsheet" content and
> I give it to POI, it's not working.
>
> But maybe the cause is that : what is inside the clipboard is not a fully
> constructed content and POI doesn't recognize that as an Excel file.

It probably isn't a full file. Quite what it is, and how close, I'm not
sure. It'll be interesting to find out!

I'd suggest you open an enhancement ticket in bugzilla. Then, create a
simple spreadsheet in XLS and XLSX format, and attach those. Next, copy a
cell, paste it into your app, save that to disk, then repeat for the other
format. Upload those two "raw" clipboard files. Finally, run the Apache
Tika App in --detect mode on the two clipboard files and report what that
thinks they are

You'll likely need to do much of the work yourself, but with the above we
might be able to give you some pointers!

Nick